It is a syndrome characterized by generalized pain and fatigue that does not diminish, a condition that increases, a disabling disease that is not recognized as such. An invisible disease little understood by the people who surround those who suffer it.
We present 10 points that you should know if you know someone with this disease:
- Although today it looks very good, remember that pain is something intimate and that each person feels it differently, can not judge someone’s pain because of their image or appearance.
- It is not a matter of will, people with fibromyalgia strive every day to perform their activities with infinite pain and fatigue. Do not think he does not try to feel good.
- When chatting, have tolerance if you forget or change the words. A significant percentage of people with fibromyalgia have a learning disability, this being the cause of the problems to follow a conversation and find the right words to express themselves.
- If you cancel an appointment or a commitment, be patient. People with fibromyalgia have low energy and various situations beyond them or the nature of the disease can trigger crises that impede the development of their daily lives.
- The energy of these people ends quickly and the rest can not recover, fatigue is typical of your life. If you share a space with someone with fibromyalgia, avoid generating more work and stress, share the tasks.
- Remember that any illness is more bearable with solidarity, if you are a relative or friend, try to participate in your medical appointments, therapies or activities. Get informed in serious places and with scientific bases. Fibromyalgia does not cure.
- By living in the uncertainty of pain, you lose confidence in yourself, the person who has fibromyalgia needs those around him to encourage him to become independent again.
- Do not despair if sadness invades you from nothing. The life of people with fibromyalgia changed because of the disease, the symptoms generate that anxiety or depression can be recurrent.
- Do not criticize its weight. People with fibromyalgia gain weight, due to lack of sleep, there is a reduction in metabolism, being a central nervous system problem, the body does not metabolize properly and there may be storage of fat. This is accompanied by exhaustion that makes it difficult to practice a sport that allows you to burn the calories needed to maintain weight.
- Pain is not the same as suffering, people with fibromyalgia lead a life accompanied by pain, solidarity and understanding of their illness can help them.